From 5th August 2017 - TBC
The Volunteer Project
Hooke Court in Malawi, are looking for individual or groups of volunteers to join our team who go out to Malawi for 2 weeks in August to help teach and maintain the local schools.
Would you enjoy:
- Providing a different and exciting outlook on education for both children and teachers in a rural area of Malawi?
- Experiencing life in an area of Malawi where the majority of the population are still subsistence farmers?
- Living alongside the shores of the beautiful Lake Malawi for two weeks in August 2016?
The Project Aims:
- To provide a range of team building and cooperation type exercises to children and teachers in 10 different schools.
- To provide support and guidance on classroom management.
- To provide guidance, resources and support in the teaching of phonics and reading.
- To provide some maintenance and permanent resources within the classrooms.
- To provide Malawi schools the opportunity to partner with British schools. If you are interested in this there may be grants available through the British Council to provide some funds towards travel.
What will we provide:
- We will provide a tent and all meals. Rooms are available at the lodge for those not wanting to camp.
- We will provide advice, support and training on health and safety, basic health and living in Africa.
What you will need to provide:
- Prior to leaving you will be required to attend a weekend training session at Hooke Court.
- Airfare to Lilongwe and then taxi to Chintheche. This may incur transfers and overnight accommodation – we can arrange this for you if you wish. The approximate cost of a flight to Lilongwe is £1000 and the return taxi fare to Chintheche £400 (4 people can share one taxi). Should your flight arrival times necessitate an overnight stay then there are lodges and hotels near to the airport. Camp site fees of approximately £7 per night. All these prices are a guide only.
- Sleeping bag, mattress and pillow.
- Vaccinations and malaria drugs.
- Suitable clothing and first aid equipment.
- Holiday insurance.
- Any medical fees incurred will be your responsibility.
- We will be based at the Chintheche Inn. The Inn is in a beautiful spot with camping on the edge of the lake. There are rooms that can be hired for those not wishing to camp. There is also a bar and restaurant at the lodge. There is intermittent internet at the lodge.
- Chintheche, 20 km south of Nkhata Bay is an extremely rural and peaceful part of Malawi. The nearest large town is Mzuzu about 2 hours drive inland.
- Chintheche is a small town where we can buy some essentials but not much else.
- The main industry is fishing in dug out canoes. Economically the population live a very basic existence.
How much will this cost you?
The approximate cost for the project is £1500. This includes flights, insurance, transfers, camp site fees and vaccinations.
From 5th August 2017 - TBC
To find out more contact us on:
Telephone: 01308 862260